Out from UK reissue specialists Ace Records March 25, this looks like a must - at least for me!
Pre-order now from Amazon.
“Kinked! Kinks Songs & Sessions 1964-1971” is an alternative celebration of the Kinks’ first decade, via the songs that “got away”, when a surfeit of strong material was shopped by Davies’ then-publisher and management, both in the UK and overseas. These tunes include several signature items never officially recorded by the Kinks: ‘I Go To Sleep’, ‘This Strange Effect’, ‘All Night Stand’; or released well in advance of the Kinks’ own versions.
The range of interpreters is wide, from pop-jazz chanteuse Peggy Lee and teen idol Bobby Rydell to Brit-girls the Orchids and Goldie & The Gingerbreads, UK mainstays Herman’s Hermits and the Pretty Things, sessioneer Nicky Hopkins, satirist Barry Fantoni, US garage punk avatars the Chocolate Watchband and R&B veterans the Olympics. Several cuts are previously unissued alternate versions / mixes or recent vault discoveries.
“Kinked!” also gathers together tracks which feature some or all of the Kinks as accompaniment, such as the obscure ‘King Of The Whole Wide World’. And as writer, Kinks guitar-slinger extraordinaire Dave Davies contributes one track, the rare beat pounder ‘One Fine Day’.
Detailed liner notes provide a background to the artists and how they acquired the songs. “Kinked!” is a lovingly-compiled, great-sounding and long overdue definitive collection that is bound to satisfy the casual Kinks aficionado as much as the hardcore fan.
Compilation and notes by Alec Palao.
01. King Of The Whole Wide World - Leapy Lee
02. I Bet You Won't Stay - The Cascades
03. Look For Me Baby - Goldie & The Gingerbreads
04. I Go To Sleep - Peggy Lee
05. This Strange Effect - Dave Berry
06. All Night Stand - The Thoughts
07. So Mystifying - The Olympics
08. Un Jeune Homme Bien - Petula Clark
09. One Fine Day - Shel Naylor
10. Oh What A Day It's Gonna Be - Mo & Steve
11. Little Man In A Little Box - Barry Fantoni
12. A House In The Country - The Pretty Things
13. When I See That Girl Of Mine - Bobby Rydell
14. Nobody's Fool - Cold Turkey
15. Act Nice & Gentle - Duster Bennett
16. I've Got That Feeling - The Orchids
17. Emptiness - The Honeycombs
18. Rosie Rosie aka Rosie, Won't You Please Come Home - Marianne Faithfull
19. I'm Not Like Everybody Else - The Chocolate Watchband
20. Who'll Be The Next In Line - The Knack
21. Dandy - Herman's Hermits
22. The Virgin Soldiers March - The John Schroeder Orchestra
23. A Little Bit Of Sunlight - The Majority
24. Big Black Smoke - Mick & Malcolm
25. Mister Pleasant - Nicky Hopkins & His Whistling Piano
26. End Of the Season - The Uglys