There’s a great craftsman at work here. It looks effortless, but as Irving Berlin used to say, “the simplest things are the hardest to write”.
• In the late 1950s and early ’60s, Lionel Bart dominated both the UK pop charts and the West End stage. He wrote ‘Living Doll’ for Cliff Richard, ‘Little White Bull’ for Tommy Steele, ‘From Russia with Love’ for the James Bond film, and he created Oliver!, the most successful British musical of the twentieth century; it’s eternal songs; ‘Food Glorious Food’, ‘Consider Yourself’, ‘Who Will Buy?’ ‘As Long As He Needs Me’, now burned deep in the collective unconscious.
• This five cd set showcases all of Lionel’s early triumphs including music from the historic productions of Oliver! which featured the young Steve Marriott – an outstanding Artful Dodger soon to be fronting Small Faces – Stanley Holloway, the English actor renowned for his comic monologues and songs, and from the original 1960 hit show Ron Moody’s immortal Fagin, Georgia Brown’s Nancy and a certain Barry Humphries as Mr Sowerberry, the undertaker.
• Lionel embodied the Sixties, a decade in which his genius was reputed to have earned him £9 a minute. He determined to enjoy every moment of his success and needed every penny to support a famously extravagant lifestyle.
• There are recordings of songs from Fings Ain’t Wot They Used T’be involving Barbara Windsor, Sid James, Adam Faith and Max Bygraves; music from Blitz; the complete original score plus popular recordings of such masterpieces as ‘Far Away’, performed by Shirley Bassey.
• The set also includes the songs Lionel wrote to put his friend Tommy Steele on the map, including the compositions from The Duke Wore Jeans and Tommy the Toreador, and a panorama of his writing for the popular artists of the day; where the Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele hits are complimented by Marty Wilde, Anthony Newley, Alma Cogan, Mark Wynter, Frankie Vaughan, Shane Fenton and Joe Brown, his famous theme for the second Bond movie, From Russia With Love arranged by John Barry, and to round the extravaganza off, Lionel’s own wonderfully eccentric recordings; the For Bart’s Sake 10” solo album and his 1961 Christmas single.Tracks:
2. Food, Glorious Food / Oliver!
3. That's Your Funeral
4. Where Is Love?
5. You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two
6. Consider Yourself
8. Be Back Soon
9. As Long As He Needs Me
10. I'd Do Anything
11. Reviewing the Situation
12. Finale (Where Is Love? / Consider Yourself)
13. All's Well
14. A Proper Man
15. It Must Be True
16. Red Wine and a Wench
17. On the Side
18. When Does the Ravishing Begin?
19. Lovely Lover
20. Lock Up Your Daughters
21. There's a Plot Afoot
22. Mr. Jones
23. On a Sunny Sunday Morning
24. If I'd Known You
25. 'Tis Plain to See
26. Kind Fate
27. I'll Be There
28. Epilogue and Lock Up Your Daughters (Reprise)
29. There's a Plot Afoot - Laurie Johnson Orchestra
30. Lock Up Your Daughters - Laurie Johnson Orchestra
1. Food, Glorious Food
3. I Shall Scream
4. Boy for Sale
5. That's Your Funeral
6. Where Is Love?
7. Consider Yourself
8. You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two
9. It's a Fine Life
10. Be Back Soon
12. My Name
13. As Long As He Needs Me
14. I'd Do Anything
15. Who Will Buy?
16. Reviewing He Situation
17. Oliver! (Reprise)
18. As Long As He Needs Me (Reprise)
19. Reviewing the Situation (Reprise)
20. Finale: Food Glorious Food / Consider Yourself / I'll Do Anything
21. You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two - Stanley Holloway
22. It's a Fine Life - Alma Cogan
23. As Long As He Needs Me - Alma Cogan
24. Who Will Buy - the Limeliters
25. As Long As He Needs Me - Shirley Bassey
26. Consider Yourself - Max Bygraves
27. Oliver Medley - Russ Conway
1. Overture / G'night Dearie
2. Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'be
3. Laying Abaht
4. Where It's Hot
5. The Ceilin's Comin' Dahn
7. Cochran Will Return
8. Polka Dots
10. Where Do Little Birds Go?
11. Big Time
12. Meatface 2
13. Carve Up!
14. Cop a Bit of Pride
15. The Student Ponce
16. Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'be (Finale)
17. Where Do Little Birds Go? - Barbara Windsor
19. G'night Dearie
20. Just Let It Happen
21. My Baby Won't Cha Cha Cha
22. Dear Mum
23. Lock Up Your Daughters!
24. When Does the Ravishing Begin?
25. Newmarket Nightmare
26. Dr. Kinsey Says
1. Our Hotel
2. Tell Him - Tell Her!
3. I Want to Whisper Something
4. The Day After Tomorrow
5. We're Going to the Country
6. Another Morning
7. Who's This Geezer Hitler?
8. Be What You Wanna Be
10. The Day After Tomorrow (Reprise)
12. Far Away
13. Petticoat Lane (On a Saturday Ain't So Nice)
14. Down the Lane
15. So Tell Me
16. Mums and Dads
17. Who Wants to Settle Down?
18. Is This Gonna Be a Wedding?
19. Duty Calls!
20. Who's This Geezer Hitler? (Reprise)
21. Far Away - Shirley Bassey
22. Down the Lane - Max Bygraves
23. Blitz Medley - Russ Conway
24. Fings Ain't Wot They Used to Be - Max Bygraves
25. Big Time - Jack Jones
26. Fings Medley - Russ Conway
27. Give Us a Kiss for Christmas - Lionel Bart
28. How Now Brown Cow - Lionel Bart
1. It's All Happening
2. My Family Tree
3. What Do You Do
4. Happy Guitar
5. Hair-Down, Hoe-Down
7. Photograph (Duet with June Laverick)
8. Thanks a Lot
9. Tommy the Toreador
10. Take a Ride
11. Where's the Birdie?
12. Little White Bull
13. Singing Time
15. Rock with the Caveman - Tommy Steele
16. A Handful of Songs - Tommy Steele
17. A Handful of Songs - Annie Ross
18. Living Doll - Cliff Richard & the Drifters
19. No Turning Back - Cliff Richard & the Drifters
20. Mad About You - Cliff Richard & the Drifters
21. The 'I Love You' Bit - Alma Cogan
22. Do You Mind - Anthony Newley
23. Do You Mind - Andy Williams
24. Wild Cat - Marty Wilde
25. Hide & Seek - Marty Wilde
26. Easy Going Me - Adam Faith
27. Sometime, Somewhere - Frankie Vaughan
28. Walkin' Tall - Frankie Vaughan
29. Kickin' Up the Leaves - Mark Wynter
30. Jellied Eels - Joe Brown and His Bruvvers
31. Too Young for Bad Memories - Shane Fenton
32. Wave Your Little Handkerchief - Bruce Forsyth
33. Why the Chicken? - Dave Samson & the Hunters