Featuring unissued work by Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, the Four Tops and more, Motown Unreleased 1965 is available via download from Amazon and other providers.
In Europe, music releases become public domain after 50 years if they are not issued or reissued. That means anyone, not the original copyright holders, can issue and profit from them.
Motown has issued an "unreleased" compilation each year since 1963 in order to retain its copyrights on unissued recordings. The Beach Boys have done the same via CDs or downloads. And Bob Dylan has taken the route of issuing outtakes and live recordings via extremely limited CD and vinyl edition. This year, he's issued 10 hours worth of 1965 live recordings as a special, limited add-on to his The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12 set.
The Beatles even got into the act a couple years back with a digital release of 1963 material, but skipped last year. No word, yet, if anything is planned this year for their 1965 recordings, which would include loads of studio outtakes, live concert and broadcast performances.
In the meantime, here's what's featured on Motown: Unreleased 1965.
- Dance Yeah Dance – Stevie Wonder
- While the City Sleeps – The Spinners
- ‘Til 12 O’Clock – Stevie Wonder
- Goodbye Eilene – Shorty Long
- My Precious Dreams – Brenda Holloway
- Stuck-Up – Oma Heard
- Just Your Love – The Four Tops
- What Have I Done to Myself – Brenda Holloway
- Didn’t I – The Hit Pack
- Can’t Break the Habit (Alternate Version) – Martha and the Vandellas
- Funny (How Time Slips Away) – Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder
- About My Baby – Clarence Paul and Stevie Wonder
- Stepping Closer to Your Heart – The Monitors
- Lucky Lucky Me – Ivy Jo Hunter
- Try a Little Tenderness – Smokey Robinson
- I Cried for You – Smokey Robinson
- I Like Everything About You (Alternate Vocal Version) – The Four Tops
- It – Little Lisa
- My Daddy Knows Best – Little Lisa
- It’s Got to Be Love – The Monitors
- Going to a Go-Go (Alternate Version) – Smokey Robinson
- For Once in My Life – Connie Haines
- Baby You Know You Ain’t Right (Alternate Slow Version) – Jr. Walker and the All Stars
- Yesterday – Chris Clark
- Determination – Ivy Jo Hunter
- I Got Heaven Right Here on Earth (Alternate Version) – The Temptations
- I Don’t Want You Anymore – Chris Clark
- Can’t Figure It Out – The Lewis Sisters